Welcome to the LibGuide on Customer Services. This guide is meant to provide library staff with training resources in external and internal customer services. Our external customers are our patrons, while our internal customers are our own colleagues and the various units with which we work within the library.
In accordance with the Service Values developed by the Administrative Council of the University of Illinois Library, this guide offers the following:
- Resources at Illinois - a bibliography of books and videos held at UIUC on various aspects of internal and external customer services
- Online Resources - links to online resources on customer services, including YouTube videos and webinars on dealing with "problem patrons"
- Web Courses - presents information about WebJunction Illinois web courses, and includes instructions on registering with WebJunction Illinois.
You can navigate to these resources by clicking the appropriate tabs above.
University Library Service Values
The Administrative Council of the University of Illinois Library has approved the following nine Service Values, which should be used as guides to providing better service:
- We will treat all patrons with courtesy.
- We will respond to service requests as accurately and as quickly as possible.
- We will project a sense of engagement, professionalism and competence in delivering services to patrons.
- We will refer patrons to other service points only when we are sure that relevant help will be found there.
- We will provide patrons with quick, accurate access to the collection.
- We will enable patrons to be self-reliant.
- We will endeavor to provide a pleasant physical environment for our patrons.
- We will continuously seek to improve our service in any way we can.
- We will treat our own staff with courtesy, responsiveness and care.
Customer Services Self-Assessment Survey
In October 2008 the Customer Services Working Group held a collaborative working meeting to gather input on priorities for customer services, and in April 2009 the University Library asked library staff members to participate in a self-assessment for customer services. The collaborative working meeting and self-assessment survey highlighted the following training needs in service at the University Library:
- Internal cooperation and decision making
- Continued assessment of services
- Training of front-line staff, including how to deal with "problem patrons"
The resources highlighted in this LibGuide are geared directly toward these points.
Staff Development and Training Coordinator
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801